Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Conclusion

When I began this assignment, I wanted to examine blogs in the classroom, specifically to see what effect blogs had on writing. My original assumption was that blogs, being an informal genre, would negatively impact students writing skills. I am surprised to find, although quite convinced by my research, that I was very wrong in my assumption. It seems that blogs are what you make them. Blogs, like any other technology, are nothing more than a tool. Therefore, it is how you use that tool that matters. There are certain factors that will determine how well a blog will work, for example, it is important to establish early on the audience. You need to make it clear who the students are writing to; are they addressing one another, the teacher or is it a personal journal? Once audience and tone are established, the students will be able to generate quality work. Similarly, as my research shows, students often feel more comfortable blogging, and participation (from even the most shy of students) generally tends to increase. Students often develop a greater sense of community in their “Virtual Learning Environment,” then they would have in a standard classroom. Students, who normally would not have taken the time to get to know one another, can easily share ideas. Students can also participate in workshops, critiques and peer reviews in a more pressure free way.

There are so many positive things to say about blogging, and its usefulness as a tool in writing classrooms. Researching this topic has completely changed my opinion of blogging and technology in the classroom. I would definitely consider trying a blog in my ENGL 103 sections next semester. I think it is a fun and easy way for students to develop their skills as effective writers.